Are you searching for Baptist missionaries or missions in Bexar County, Texas? If so, you've come to the right spot. This article will delve into the history of Baptist missions and missionaries in the area, as well as provide information on how to get support through the convention. The mission of Our Lady of the Light of Orcoquisac was established in 1756 on the Trinity River in Chambers County to counter the influence of the French in southeastern Texas. This process of approving a new mission can be lengthy, as it sometimes begins in Spain, but is often determined by the viceroy in Mexico.
After unsuccessful attempts, a provisional church was constructed in 1656 and a successful mission was founded in 1659. In 1719, French raids from Louisiana caused all missions in East Texas to be temporarily unoccupied, but they were restored in 1721. Our Father San Francisco de los Tejas was reestablished on the west bank of the Neches River in 1716 as a successor to the Texas Mission, the mission that had been abandoned in 1693. However, the original site (known as the Keeran archaeological site) on Garcitas Creek, near present-day Inez, in Victoria County, lost until the beginning of the 20th century, was later excavated by the Texas Memorial Museum in 1950 and by Kathleen Gilmore in 1973. The Mexican city of Mier was the site of the La Purísima Concepción mission, and across the river, in present-day Starr County, was the Mier a Visita Mission, which began in the mid-1750s. In 1846 and 1847, the Goliad city council approved the mission provision, which local residents popularly called Aranama Mission; the council reserved the structure and twenty acres of land for county or university buildings, but it also granted citizens the right to take loose rocks away. To counter French influence further, Espíritu Santo was temporarily rebuilt with wood and caliche. In 1758 Father Francisco Xavier de Salazar informed Governor Jacinto de Barrios y Jáuregui that the mission complex had been reconstructed with stone and mortar, although indigenous people were still living in jacals. In 1730 friars decided to move their three missions - La Purísima Concepción, San Francisco de los Neches and San José de los Nazonis - to a site on the Colorado River near Barton Springs in present-day Austin. In 1850s Marianist religious order acquired mission title and after repairs church was reopened for services in 1861. Valuable lands of Espíritu Santo eventually destined for Indians were increasingly desired by Mexican and American settlers who settled in area, particularly those located in Goliad, De León colony and Power and Hewetson colony. TXB missionaries are volunteers or people who gather support and commit to spending at least 20 hours a week in mission environment here in Texas.
If they want they can get support through convention and be subcontractors working in Urban Missions office. They will work with several organizations but priority in recruiting and placing them will be Baptist churches in Texas.